Wind River Delivers Solutions for Next Generation ADAS and Autonomous Vehicle Innovation
- New offering helps customers develop safety-critical automotive systems that are more secure and enables advanced vehicle applications such as ADAS and autonomous driving.
- Wind River automotive software solutions address new demands rising from growth of IoT and connected car.
- Wind River showcasing latest automotive technologies at SAE World Congress in booth 265 during April 21-23.
SAE WORLD CONGRESS, DETROIT, Mi. – Apr. 21, 2015 – Wind River®, a world leader in delivering software for the Internet of Things, has introduced Automotive Profile for VxWorks, AUTOSAR-compliant software to help customers develop ISO 26262 certifiable automotive safety-critical applications such as advanced driver assist systems (ADAS) to piloted and autonomous driving.
In the age of the Internet of Things (IoT), automotive software and systems are becoming more complex and connectivity is expected to be ubiquitous. As software-driven applications become more prevalent in vehicles, keeping automotive systems secure and tamper-proof is important for vehicle and occupant safety. For example, through partitioning, companies can consolidate multiple vehicle controls with different levels of safety criticality onto a single hardware platform while maintaining their time- and space-based separation and isolation. This introduces the potential for reductions in cost and weight in vehicles, and may help mitigate risk of attack or interference to other software components all without compromising vehicle safety or functional performance.
Automotive Profile for VxWorks enriches the latest version of VxWorks® real-time operating system (RTOS) to help address the growing needs for safe, secure, and certifiable software-driven ADAS and autonomous driving applications.
Key features include the following:
• Safety partitioning capabilities that can help customers build products that are ISO 26262-certifiable up to ASIL D consolidation of multiple applications with different levels of safety criticality onto a single hardware platform.
• Security capabilities for the connected car, such as secure boot to help mitigate the risk of tampering or execution of unauthorized code and access and malicious attacks.
• Streamlined AUTOSAR integration to support standardized connectivity and functional interfaces, enabling simpler and faster interoperability and integration.
• Support for consolidation of a large number of software-driven functions on a smaller number of more powerful electronic control units (ECUs) to help lower costs, space, weight, and power consumption.
“The future of the automotive experience can only come to life by relying on advanced software platforms. Vehicle functions are converging within the car to form a seamless interconnected experience that ties the driver to the world around them. In this complex scenario, the role of software systems is more important than ever,” said Michael Krutz, senior vice president of automotive solutions at Wind River. “Enabling this kind of transformational change has been a cornerstone of Wind River’s decades of embedded software leadership. Drawing from our rich technology heritage and expertise in industries such as aerospace and defense, our new automotive offering is merely the tip of the iceberg to how we will continue to enable this transformation in the automotive industry.”
Powering billions of devices, VxWorks has a proven track record in aerospace and defense, automotive, and other safety- and security-critical customer applications. VxWorks delivers superior deterministic performance and provides a rich, scalable, and future-proof operating environment for IoT.
Automotive Profile and VxWorks are part of the Wind River Helix™ portfolio of products enabling Internet of Things (IoT) advancements. To learn more about how Wind River is addressing the opportunities and challenges from IoT, visit http://tinyurl.com/WindHelix.
In addition to Automotive Profile for VxWorks, the Wind River automotive software portfolio includes its GENIVI-compliant Wind River Platform for Infotainment, Wind River Diab Compiler, Wind River Workbench IDE, Wind River Simics® simulation software, Wind River Linux and VxWorks operating systems with add-on Safety, Security, and Virtualization Profiles, as well as rich multimedia, connectivity, and Android-based technologies. Delivering a combination of deep industry expertise, proven software integration and lifecycle management services, Wind River enables automotive OEMs and their Tier 1 suppliers to tackle some of the toughest challenges in safety, security, and IVI to help shorten time-to-revenue and harness the opportunities of connected cars and autonomous driving.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel® Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in delivering software for the Internet of Things. The company has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981, and its technology is found in nearly 2 billion products. Wind River offers the industry's most comprehensive embedded software portfolio, supported by world-class global professional services and support and a broad partner ecosystem. Wind River delivers the technology and expertise that enables the innovation and deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com.
# # #
Director, Global Communications